Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is SEEd.Lab?
SEEd.Lab is short for Social Enterprise Education Lab. It is a programme run by PETRONAS and Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) that aims to groom and develop groups of individual youths in setting up sustainable Social Enterprise companies with a focus on addressing social pain points in Malaysia through the use of digital and technology.
2. What is a Social Enterprise
A Social Enterprise is defined as a cause-driven business that aims to improve lives and serve the common good through a market-driven approach. There are 3 main principles that make a Social Enterprise: founded on a social mission, serves its target beneficiaries and driven by a sustainable business model.
3. What is PETRONAS and TCS involvement in SEEd.Lab?
SEEd.Lab is powered by the joint expertise between PETRONAS and TCS that are both committed to ensuring the success of the programme as well as the SEEd.lings.
4. How is SEEd.Lab different from other SE programs?
SEEd.Lab is the first initiative of its kind in Malaysia which incorporates an end-to-end journey that spans over the essential stages of a start-up’s growth. For the next 12 to 18 months, the programme will take you through the Ideation, Incubation and Commercialisation stages – covering the basics from the ground up on establishing a sustainable social enterprise – with full support from PETRONAS and TCS.
5. What type of individuals is SEEd.Lab looking for?
We are looking for leaders of tomorrow who not only dream of change, but are also determined to make it happen by turning vision to action. We are looking for changemakers who are driven by a shared aspiration to positively impact the lives of communities through social entrepreneurship. If this sounds like you, we want you.
- Driven by a strong entrepreneurial mindset, willing to push boundaries and go the extra mile in building a successful social enterprise.
- Creative and critical thinkers in innovating and co-creating solutions as a team through active engagement with peers, experts, and SEEd.Lab panel members.
- Passionate about solving Malaysia’s pressing social challenges through technology and innovation.
- Digitally driven and tech-savvy in leveraging the opportunities of new technologies to devise timely and relevant solutions for complex social challenges.
- Technically skilled in fields such as software engineering, coding, web and app development, digital designs, cloud infrastructure and security among others, to enable successful implementation and execution of solutions.
- Energetic and proactive in creating change, expanding their ideas, and furthering their cause through the establishment of a successful start-up
6. Why should I join SEEd.Lab?
- You will be part of a social mission to make Malaysia a better home for our communities by tackling pain points and challenges derived through engagements with diverse stakeholders including youth, underprivileged community, industry leaders, academia, and local administrations.
- You will be able to be the change you wished to see by delivering solutions that create economic and social values for your targeted beneficiaries as well as the community at large.
- You will be learning from leaders and top management teams of PETRONAS and TCS, industry experts and leverage research assets essential to establishing a sustainable social enterprise.
- You will be on your way to becoming a successful social entrepreneur!
7. What will I go through once I am enrolled into SEEd.Lab?
SEEd.Lab is a 12 to 18-month intensive programme – depending on the progress of the participants – that requires full-time commitment from all participants. This programme is phased into 4 stages. We will be curating a set of social challenges that the teams will be required to work on; and our model will boost the progress of your solutions to market. At the end of each stage, a session with the Panel Members will take place to review, challenge and exchange feedback on the ideas pitched. Each stage will conclude with a decision by the Panel Members on whether a team would progress to the next stage.
- Stage 1: Ideation (estimated 4-6 months)
Go through sprints of ideations in addressing some of the most challenging problems faced by the community.
- Stage 2: Incubation (estimated 4-6 months)
Create Minimum Viable Products (MVP) and validate solutions through continuous refinement in designing the user experience and concept testing with real target users.
- Stage 3: Commercialisation (estimated 4-6 months)
Complete product and start running real business! Define and execute a go-to-market plan and launch the business. The goal here is to make your social enterprise a sustainable business while creating visibility for venture capitalists and leading corporates, eager to invest in your company!
- Stage 4: Sustain & Scale (post- graduating from SEEd.Lab)
Your journey as a programme participant may have ended but we are committed to supporting your entrepreneurial growth beyond your time with SEEd.Lab through dedicated mentorship and advisory for the following 12-month.
8. What type of assistance do the SEEd.lings get from this programme?
Participants will have access to mentors from TCS, PETRONAS as well as the industry, academia, and government through the ecosystem that SEEd.Lab has created in ensuring the success of the programme. In addition to this, participants will also be receiving monthly allowance and access to a co-working space for the entirety of the programme.
9. How much will I receive for my monthly allowance?
Every participant will receive RM2,200 throughout the Ideation stage. The amount of allowance will be raised upon successful progressions into Incubation and Commercialisation stages to RM2,500 and RM3,000, respectively.
10. Can I get employment with TCS or PETRONAS through SEEd.Lab?
SEEd.Lab is established, positioned, and operated independently from PETRONAS and TCS. Involvement in SEEd.Lab is not an establishment of an employer-employee relationship with PETRONAS and TCS. Individuals looking for employment with these entities are expected to go through the standard recruitment and hiring processes set by the companies. Should you wish to apply for job positions, please visit www.petronas.com or www.tcs.com to register your interest.
11. What are the ventures that have graduated from SEEd.Lab?
You can learn more about the ventures that have graduated from SEEd.Lab here.
12. Where is SEEd.Lab located?
SEEd.Lab will be hosted at Common Ground Bangsar South; a flexible, fully equipped co-working space with a conducive start-up environment. It is easily accessible via personal or public transports, with a sheltered walkway to the Kerinchi LRT Station. This space is located at Menara BT, Level 1 & 2, Tower 3, Avenue 7, Horizon 2 Bangsar South City No. 8, Jalan Kerinchi, 59200 Kuala Lumpur.
Applying as a SEEd.ling
1. Who should apply to become SEEd.lings? (Yes, that’s what we’re calling you!)
SEEd.Lab is a programme dedicated to the youth of Malaysia. It is open to individual and team (maximum of 5 members) applicants between the age of 18 to 35 years old.
2. What education background is SEEd.Lab looking for?
The minimum requirement is SPM or its equivalent. Everyone has a potential to contribute regardless of your backgrounds. More than anything, we believe in the power of passion, drive, creativity, entrepreneurship mindset and experience which play a big role in shaping your journey with SEEd.Lab.
3. I have a technical background but little to no business skills or experience in entrepreneurship. Can I still apply?
Yes! While business skills are an important part of an innovation's success, technical skills – such as software engineering, coding, web and app development, digital designs, cloud infrastructure and security – are essential in the implementation and execution of these ideas. In SEEd.Lab, we will work alongside our SEEd.lings to help you develop as well as hone your business skills. You will also be exposed to plenty of opportunities to exchange knowledge with your fellow SEEd.lings who come into the programme with very diverse backgrounds.
4. Can I join SEEd.Lab on a part-time basis?
No. Setting up and growing a successful business requires a full-time commitment. To enable this, we provide an allowance on a monthly basis throughout your time with SEEd.Lab so that you can keep focus on the ultimate purpose of your time in the programme without worrying about having to work elsewhere.
5. Can I apply as a SEEd.ling if I don’t have an idea to submit?
Yes, you will be able to do so here. If your application is successful, you will be working on developing the idea for the specific social challenges and solutions with a team formed during your time in SEEd.Lab.
6. If I apply without an idea, will it impact my chances to join SEEd.Lab?
It is not a mandatory requirement to apply with an idea nor will it impact our assessment of your application. We care most about finding the right people who are passionate about serving the nation and the community, as well as possess the right business and technical skills in driving SEEd.Lab’s mission forward. These are the qualities that will set apart one potential SEEd.ling from the other.
7. My team has applied to join SEEd.Lab. However, I have a different idea and wish to submit an application on my own. Can I still apply as an individual participant?
Yes, you can submit your application as an individual applicant (on top of your team application) here.
8. If my team and I have already registered as a company, are we still able to apply for SEEd.Lab?
Yes, we do accept applications from teams that have registered as a company. However, depending on the type of enterprise you are registered as, there may be conditions put in place for your participation in SEEd.Lab. To learn more, reach out to us at email@example.com.
9. Can I still apply as a SEEd.ling if I have already secured funding for my team/company?
You are still eligible to apply. However, this would depend on the agreement between you and the other party which may impact how SEEd.Lab funds your company. Reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
10. Will SEEd.lings be required to sign any contract prior to joining the programme?
Yes, all SEEd.lings will be required to sign the Participant’s Agreement and adhere to the terms outlined throughout the entirety of the programme.
11. If I applied today, what is the recruitment process I have to go through?
You will go through two rounds of selection processes from June to August 2021. Applicants will be notified accordingly should they progress to the following rounds.
- Round 1: Submission of application and idea (if any)
You will be required to fill up the forms together with your resumes/CVs and any relevant supporting documents. All you need to know about the application process can be read here. All submissions will be screened for progression into the next round. Shortlisted candidates will be notified via email.
Round 2: Call for interview
Upon making it through the first round, you will be invited to attend an interview with SEEd.Lab. This will allow us more opportunity to get to know you better as an individual and a team.
12. What happens if a SEEd.ling has to exit prior to graduation?
There is no restriction for a SEEd.ling to exit the programme, given a notice of 30 days. Even so, the time spent as part of the SEEd.Lab programme would have enabled SEEd.lings to develop personally and professionally, all in all, enhancing their employability in the job market by:
- Developing and honing the essential skills of Critical Thinking, Design Thinking, and Innovation
- Learning essential business acumen and entrepreneurship skills
- Gaining a deeper appreciation of social issues with higher empathy towards society
- Establishing connections and networked with like-minded individuals, potential beneficiaries, and ecosystem players
- Building a support system with fellow SEEd.lings and as part of the SEEd.Lab network
13. I want to become a SEEd.ling! How do I apply?
Fantastic! The application window for Cohort 2 is now open. You can apply here.
Submission of Ideas
1. I want to submit my idea. How do I do so and are there specific requirements to the idea I want to submit?
We have a comprehensive step-by-step guide on the process here. We encourage you to read this, along with all the documents made available on the page, carefully to ensure your application is submitted successfully.
2. Can I submit an idea that is not listed as a Challenge Area?
Yes! We value your views and experience as members of your respective communities. So, if you have ideas on the challenges we have identified or any that you have identified, we want to hear from you.
3. What do I need to submit?
We are looking for ideas that would be able to contribute to the big mission of SEEd.Lab to address social issues in Malaysia. You will find helpful pointers here, along with everything else you will need to know about the process.
4. I am more comfortable expressing myself in Malay language. Can I submit my idea in Malay language instead of English?
Of course! Ideas come in all shapes, forms, and languages. We are not looking for modern day Shakespeares here; just big, ambitious, brilliant ideas that could reshape the future of Malaysia.
5. Can I submit more than one idea?
Absolutely! There is no such thing as too many ideas! Each submission form corresponds to one idea. If you wish to submit another one (or two!), please fill up a fresh application for your additional ideas.
6. What is the deadline for the submission?
The deadline of submission has been extended to July 4, 2021 (Sunday), 11.59pm (GMT+8)
7. What happens to my idea(s) after I submit it?
The ideas you have submitted will go through an assessment stage dedicated to validating and evaluating the potential impact to the intended target beneficiaries.
8. Who owns the Intellectual Property rights?
PETRONAS, Tata Consultancy Services, and the ventures grown within SEEd.Lab will own the Intellectual Property to all of the ideas submitted.
9. If I have any more questions about SEEd.Lab, who can I reach out to?
Feel free to reach out to us at email@example.com
Going Through the SEEd.Lab Journey
1. How will the teams be formed later in the programme if I am an individual applicant?
The first few weeks of the programme will be focused on building the foundational knowledge and skills as well as finding your co-founders. During this time, you will meet like-minded individuals and have a chance to get to know your potential co-founders as you learn about their unique strengths that would complement yours on this journey.
2. Will I be able to select my own co-founders?
Yes. Our aim is to ensure that we equip the team with the right sets of skills and expertise. With this in mind, the SEEd.Lab Team will facilitate this process by providing insights, guidance, and support in setting up your team. However, the ultimate decision will be yours.
3. Will there be a possibility that my team will receive new members?
Yes. You will be assessed as both an individual and a team. This means that we will learn of your strengths and gaps that may exist in your current team composition. We will continue to provide advice and guidance in an effort to help you bridge those gaps with the right capabilities made available to you through the pool of potential co-founders.
4. Will funding be provided for the ventures?
Yes, funding will be provided for your ventures upon your progression into the Incubation stage. For teams that make it to the Commercialisation stage, access to funding will be provided on a case-to-case basis. This will be subject to terms and conditions. Further discussions on this arrangement will take place with the respective teams.
Common Ground Bangsar South
Level 1 & 2, Menara BT, Tower 3,
Avenue 7, Horizon Phase 2 Bangsar
South, No.8, Jalan Kerinchi,
59200 Kuala Lumpur.